Sunday, February 17, 2013

My Pursuit of Godliness


During the Lenten season in church our sermon series is called "Disciplined by Grace."  Today pastor spoke about journaling being a spiritual practice that helps pursue godliness in our lives.  "Journaling creates the opportunity to combine Bible Study, Prayer, the practice of Spiritual Disciplines, along with our thoughts and feelings of everyday life."

 I believe that God has called me to this spiritual practice in order to further pursue godliness.  But rather than do this in private, with no accountability, I have decided to journal on this blog.  I have tried journaling in the past and I only did it a few times before I stopped all together.  I want to be held accountable for my journaling.  I know I have a busy schedule and will not be able to journal daily, but my hope is to do it a few times a week.  I will post the new blog on Facebook for everyone to read and enjoy.  Now, if I do not post for a while I need my friends and family to hold me accountable.  I need you to remind me when you see me about missing a post, or send me a text or even a Facebook message.  I hope that this will help me in my faithfulness of journaling. 

Pastor gave an easy outline to follow for journaling and that is how I would like to start.  He gave the SOAP Method.  SOAP stands for scripture, observation, application, and prayer.  I will be following this simple outline in most of my blog posts.  There may be days when I have other things to say and use a different format or I might find a different way works better for me, but to start I will use SOAP.  So here goes...

Scripture: 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 

Observation:

WOW!  I love scripture that praises God!!  This verse reminds us of the compassion and comfort given by God.  Not only does God give comfort, but he is "the God of all comfort, who comfort us in all our troubles."  It is nice to know that in any trouble big or small we WILL receive comfort from God.  Now, since we have been comforted by "the God of all comfort," we are able to comfort others in their time of trouble.  Knowing how God comforts us, we can comfort others.

Application:

I know the application of this verse all too well.  For the past two and a half years God has been giving me daily comfort.  Every day I wake up without my two sons is another day I need comforting from God.  God is the only one who brings me enough comfort to even bring me to peace.  This peace passes all understanding.  Now, with the comfort and peace God has compassionately given, I can show others the comfort he give in their time of trouble.  What an amazing Father!

Prayer:

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank You for Your daily comfort.  Thank You for the peace that passes all understanding.  Thank You for showing me that I can now show others the comfort You have shown me. Please continue to comfort me until the day we meet face to face.
Amen

2 comments:

  1. You go girl! That is an awesome commitment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very good. :) You don't need to worry about anything because you are doing really well. I will definitely support you in this. Looking forward to your next journal. :)

    ReplyDelete